Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The hotels all have room service and the women all have long legs and brains

At around 1:12 today, I realized how great my job really is.

I could be working at the Aztec Market, dealing with sorority queens and other rude people all day.

I could be working in the library, silent and boring.

I could be greasing up my face by working at some restaurant.

But nope, I get to mix love and work. I'm a baseball writer.

My latest article came out yesterday, but I was too busy to link it.
Most days, you don't even need to watch the game to tell who won.

Following victories, you can hear the San Diego State baseball team loudly singing the school's fight song in the locker room.

After losses?

You'll hear nary a ballplayer.

Yesterday, you could hear "Fight on and on ye Aztec men" all the way from Stockton, near the Bay Area. Thanks to a five-run fifth inning, SDSU topped No. 28 Baylor, 6-2, in the final game of the Pacific State Bank Tiger Classic.

"That was a super game," head coach Tony Gwynn said in a phone interview.
I really liked this quote at the end...
The victory was the third of the year for the Aztecs over an opponent ranked in the top 30.

"It doesn't matter what name is on the jersey," Sewell said. "We know we can take care of them."
I'm really trying to get better. Now that I've talked with one of the other amazing writers at the DA, I hate this story. I really could've done more with it, but it was on deadline and I was just trying to get it over the plate. He told me to write like I talk. I'm gonna try this with my next articles, because I'd really love to be on his career path - freelancing for Sports Illustrated at 23. I want to do that at 21, or hell, even later this year. I want to be on ESPN by 25. That's my goal.

Back to my original point, I'm pretty lucky. Most people my age are working at jobs they hate either because of the pay or the drama with other people. I look forward to drama in my job. I'm finally adjusting to Tony, knowing that I cannot just treat him like any other coach I've talked to. I've got to expect some shit, and I have to dish it right back at him.

But my job is perfect. I get paid to watch baseball. In San Diego. Beat that, stock boy at Safeway. As I'm typing this right now, it's 74 degrees and sunny as hell. I know parts of the country where it's raining or snowing or just generally pretty cold. I wore shorts and a t-shirt today.

I'm very ready to go to Spring Training. I'm a baseball addict, and I just need my fix.

Next article on Thursday previewing the Tony Gwynn Classic.

Wednesday: A rant about sensitivity in sports - or - a rant about love for team vs. love for a player. Stay tuned and stay classy.

No comments: