Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Broke College Student's Guide to California Ballparks

I love baseball. But there's just one problem. My education is really cutting into my baseball-watching time. I mean, seriously, I'd rather watch the professor pitch than listen to one lecture. And we all know education = money. If I wasn't going to college, man, think of all the season tickets I could buy.

So, now that I've sat in the cheap seats at all five MLB ballparks in California, I've compiled a guide (obviously, hence the title). I'll be basing my rankings on a 1-10 scale:

- Price: 1 = Top hat and monocle handed out at the gate, 10 = I'd bring a bulletproof vest or pack some heat

- Fan atmosphere: 1 = Waves/cell phones out-number "Let's Go ____!" cheers, 10 = Anyone wearing anything close to the opposing colors gets booed out

- Food: 1 = You're better off sneaking in month-old hot dogs from 7-11, 10 = It's actually worth the money

- Team: 1 = Parades thrown after wins over the Royals/Pirates, 10 = World Series flags galore

- Stuff to do before/after the game: 1 = Drive home, 10 = You could stay around the ballpark all day if you wanted

- Overall stadium experience: 1 = It's better to just watch on TV, 10 = Fuckin' awesome!

For now, I'll review the San Diego Padres' Petco Park, and then probably get to the rest later today.

Petco Park, San Diego


Price:
4
Probably the most expensive of the California ballparks, but I think it's worth it. If you want to sit on the lower deck, just forget about it (of course, I'm used to Oakland ticket prices). It'll run you about $50 (god, I hate all those "convenience" fees), but the cheaper seats offer the best view, in my opinion. My favorite section, Upper Infield Reserved, costs $18 if you buy it before the day of the game and gives you a view of the entire field plus the San Diego skyline. I highly recommend it.

I gave it a moderate score because I love the Park Pass ($5), which gets you standing room only, or a sitting place on the hill. If I just want to catch some baseball on the cheap, I'll do this. Petco also has 2-for-1 specials on the Upper Deck Outfield and Toyota Terrace (I'll get to that later) on Thursday day games.

Why it didn't score higher was because of sections like the Toyota Terrace. Logic has told me that if the lower deck is $40-50 and the upper deck is $14-18, the 2nd deck must be somewhere in between, right? Wrong. The Toyota Terrace is the most expensive seat in the house (well, not counting the Sony Dugout Club, which requires a Swiss bank account) with prices ranging from $45-60.

And while I understand the economic benefits of "premium" games... I hate them. Why don't I get to pay less when the Pirates or Nationals come to town?


Fan Atmosphere: 6
This is another instance where the good met the bad and kinda met in the middle. I have yet to be at a Padres game where the insufferable wave didn't break out. Sorry guys, if the home team is up or down by less than 5 runs, I can't justify the wave. I've seen it break out in the eighth inning in a close game with the defending World Series Champion Cardinals. Bad form. Unless the scoreboard tells them to (and it will do it quite often), fans rarely break out with cheers.

But there are some times where I truly LOVE to be a part of the Petco experience. Before the game, they sometimes have live music at the Park in the Park and the entire stadium goes fucking crazy when this guy comes in. Hells Bells raised this score a couple points. Also, in right field, these fans post K's for each strikeout. It's fun when Jake Peavy pitches, because they insert the K's in his name. Often, you'll see JAKKKKKKKKKE.


Food: 8
I had the Slugger Dog at the Randy Jones BBQ last night. Holy shit. That raised the score of food immensely. It's $7, but it's fucking huge. One will probably be enough food for you for the entire game, unless you're a bigger guy like me. When the lady gave it to me, I was thinking, "Do I eat this, or use it for self-defense?" It was barbecued (of course) and oh-so-good. There were other items on the RJ BBQ menu that looked good, but it'll be a bit pricey. If they're as good as the Slugger Dog, though, I think it's worth the extra money. Petco also has a great variety of food, ranging from the basic hot dogs/peanuts/popcorn to Oggi's Pizza, "Garlic" fries, chicken and Rubio's, a San Diego favorite. All in all, the prices may scare you away, but for some of the things, it's worth it.


Team: 7
The Padres, while they don't exactly excel in the playoffs, are usually a pretty good team and a playoff contender. Watching Jake Peavy pitch is just amazing. He may not get the headlines that other top pitchers like Josh Beckett and Johan Santana do, but the man can put up K's like crazy. There's also Chris Young, Greg Maddux and the incomparable Trevor Hoffman to watch. While hitting is kind of their bugaboo, they hold their own. Whenever you go, you're probably going to be seeing some good baseball.


Stuff to do before/after game: 10
Petco has a great location, right in the heart of Downtown San Diego. It used to be a slum before they built the park, but it is in the process being rejuvenated. Most fans go to the Gaslamp District, which is basically right outside the park, after the game for a bite to eat or a drink. While there's not much to do on a college budget, I highly recommend Dick's Last Resort. If you want your ass kissed, though, avoid it. The waiters are paid to treat you like assholes, and you're encouraged to give them attitude right back, though. The food is a little expensive, but compared to the other high-scale restaurants in the Gaslamp, it's not bad. Ghirardelli's (yummy ice cream and chocolate) is also fairly packed after day games, as fans look for a cool treat.


Overall stadium experience: 8
First off... you're in San Diego. You can't ask for better weather. When the team is good, the fans are apt to be a bit more lively. Petco is new, so a lot of the problems of older stadiums are non-existent. It's a baseball-only facility, unlike their last home (Qualcomm Stadium), that they shared with the NFL's Chargers. Most of the seats are angled to face home plate and the ushers are nice (the Elite Security people, not so much). I love how the ushers stop people from going up/down a row while action is going on. I HATE it when I'm trying to watch a game, and people arrive in the middle of an inning like they own the place. Ushers hold the people until there's a break in the action so that way instances like this are avoided.

All in all, Petco is probably my favorite California ballpark, fandom aside.

Total: 43

No comments: